Friday 30 April, 2010

When A Guy And A Girl Are 3 Feet Apart, Mayhem Prevails.



Several things go on in a guy’s mind when he looks at a girl. But here is what I found out today, the craziness
of the guy’s thoughts is inversely proportional to the distance from the girl. And at a magic distance of 3 feet, the guy becomes philosophically unbearable for friends near him.

When a guy spots a girl a good 15 feet away, he has seen her for a long enough period before the 3 feet mark. So, his craziness is correspondingly lower. When the distance reduces to 3 feet, the guy has enough composure to hold his thoughts together. But when a guy starts seeing a girl at a much closer distance, mayhem prevails. Here is what happened to me today.

Memories of the mystery girl, who made me write one of my previous articles (click here to read it), were slowly fading away. It’s been a few weeks since I last saw her. But I met her today, as I was walking out to have lunch.

I saw her when she was about 5 feet away from me. I didn't recognize her at first; she was wearing a pant and a shirt. Every time I had seen her before, she was wearing something ethnic. So the first of those precious 5 feet was gone in finding out if it was actually her.

At a distance of 4 feet, her stately walk and the artificial mannerism that she puts on when she sees me, struck me. I loved the way she had done her hair today. Another foot gone.

Now, at that magic distance of 3 feet, there was nothing that I could do prevent nature’s forces. In hindsight, I only pity my friends.

It was not easy for me to stare at her in an obvious way when she was that close. So I tried to look straight pretending not to have noticed her at all. But as it always happens, I ended up watching her from the corner of my eye and I am pretty sure that she noticed it as well. And she gazed at me for that fraction of a second, and wham…! Eureka.

The magic of the 3 feet mark needs to be examined. In that zone all it needed was a single gaze from her to lead me to a place where I would have never gone otherwise. I could sense the increase in blood flowing into my brain. Only such a high volume of blood in my brain could have made me wonder on something as crazy as this – do women, in general (and she, in particular) get beautiful over time or are they simply born beautiful. If I had this thought at any distance outside the 3 feet mark, I would have laughed at myself on the inanity of the question. If only I had told it to a friend, he would have punched me in my face and brought me back to normalcy. But since neither happened, I needed an answer.

The distance reduced to 2 feet. Still no answer. In another second she would have gone past me, and I could pretend that none of this ever happened. But at that instant I needed an answer. The amount of brain storming that I did in this single second still continues to baffle me. Here’s what I came up with.

• Exhibit A, Hair - Liked the way she had styled it today. But I was pretty sure it would have been just as great if she had done it in any other way.

• Exhibit B, Eyes - Looked great with the eye-liner. But the eyes are something that you cannot feign, WSIWYH (What you see is what you have).

• Exhibit C, Sharp, pointed nose - No debate here. It's either there or not there. She had it.

• Exhibit D, The graceful walk - you can't pretend this as well. And it was there.

• Exhibit E, ….

Suddenly, the blood flow seemed to stop. I looked around and she was gone. I was out of the 3 feet zone. And I had an answer. The score was 4 to nil and I had found what I wanted!

After a few more steps, I regained my composure. I pretended as if nothing happened and strutted along. But there was an uneasy silence prevailing. As I turned around, one of my friends asked me, “What was that crap all about. Do you know what you were saying?”. Oho.. Had I been talking aloud all along?!!.

No comments:

Post a Comment